Where bubblesheet exams are used in a course, the format of data in the
file generated from the processing of bubbled-in bubblesheets may
vary between institutions. The format definitions available when performing
bubblesheet grading in LON-CAPA were originally listed in the scantronformat.tab
file, stored in /home/httpd/lonTabs, which might have been modified
locally on each server.
Starting with LON-CAPA 2.7, bubblesheet format information is read from
either a custom.tab file, or a default.tab file both of which belong
to the special domain configuration user ($dom-domainconfig, where
$dom is the name of the domain) and which are automatically published
into resource space.
For LON-CAPA installations older than 2.7, when the primary library
server for the domain has been updated, a Domain Coordinator should
display the "Bubblesheet format file" configuration
page via "Domain Configuration". The first time
this page is displayed, a default.tab (a copy of the standard LON-CAPA
scantronformat.tab file), and a custom.tab (if the scantronform.tab
file currently on the server differs from the standard file) will
be copied and published. Thereafter any changes to bubblesheet format
files to be used for grading bubblesheet exams in courses from the domain
will be made via the Domain Configuration menu. Any scantronform.tab
files in /home/httpd/lonTab directories on servers in the domain will
no longer be used.
The settings available via "Bubblesheet format file"
support upload of a new custom file, or deletion of an existing custom
file (in which case grading will default to use of the default.tab
file). An uploaded bubblesheet format file contains one or more lines
of colon-separated values for the parameters in the following order:
As an example, below are four different format lines: the first two
were used at MSU prior to 2006; the last two have been used since
- name is the internal identifier used within LON-CAPA
- description is the text displayed for each option in
the "Format of data file" dropdown in the Bubblesheet grading
screen. The user will choose the appropriate format for the bubblesheet
file currently being used for bubblesheet grading.
- CODEtype can be either 'none' 'letter' 'number'
- CODEstart: (only matters if a CODE exists) column in the line where the CODE starts
- CODElength: length of the CODE
- IDstart: column where the student ID starts
- IDlength: length of the student ID
- Qstart: column where the information from the bubbled 'questions' start
- Qlength is the number of characters in the raw data used to record the student's bubbled answer for each row on the bubblesheet.
If the raw data indicate bubble position by a letter or a number (e.g., A = first bubble or 1 = first bubble etc.) then the number of characters would be 1 (assuming 10 bubbles or less for the number case). If however, bubble position is indicated by position of the Qon (bubbled) character, then each bubble row might have 10 characters (one for each of the 10 possible positions with Qon at the position bubbled and Qoff elsewhere, (e.g. if Qon = 1, Qoff = . the portion of a student's record for a single bubble row might be: ...1...... indicating position 4 was the one bubbled.
- Qoff is the character used to indicate an unfilled bubble, this is commonly a single blank space.
- Qon is the character used in the raw data generated by the bubblesheet scanner to indicate a filled-in bubble.
Qon can be either:
- the symbol that says a bubble has been selected, or
- 'letter' (for when the selected letter appears), or
- 'number' for when a number indicating the selected letter appears
- PaperID: if the scanning process generates a unique number for each sheet scanned the column that this ID number starts in
- PaperIDlength: number of columns that comprise the unique ID number for the sheet of paper
- FirstName: column that the first name starts in
- FirstNamelength: number of columns that the first name spans
- LastName: column that the last name starts in
- LastNamelength: number of columns that the last name spans
- msunocode:MSU without any CODE:none:0:0:57:9:77:10: :1:5:5:51:1:41:10
- msucode:MSU with CODE in separate location:letter:69:6:57:9:77:10:
- msucodelet:MSU with CODE in separate location (letter format):-1:69:6:57:9:77:1:
- msucodenum:MSU with CODE in separate location (number format):-1:69:6:57:9:77:1: