Access to pages which provide server status information for LON-CAPA servers
in a domain is controlled by a Domain Coordinator. When a user who has a Domain
Coordinator role is logged into LON-CAPA, the user automatically has access to
server status pages. Access can also be granted to other users by either (a)
specifying username:domain, or (b) specifying IP addresses for the clients from
which access will be made. In the case of IP-based access there is no need for
the user to be logged into LON-CAPA or even have a LON-CAPA user account.
- There are eleven server status pages:
- User Status Summary - information about User Sessions which have been hosted on the server since the last nightly clean-up of lonIDs for stale sessions, and where the user has not logged out. Sessions are classified into: Active, Moderately Active and Inactive.
- Detailed Report - information saved by the nightly run of loncron which checks
connections to other servers in the cluster, and includes excerpts from various logs, as well as machine information.
- Apache Status Page - information from the Apache web server about its current status
- LON-CAPA Module Versions - a list of currently installed LON-CAPA perl modules, including version information.
- LON-CAPA Module Checking - the results of comparison of version number and checksum for installed LON-CAPA modules, with expected values for the LON-CAPA version (from a data file for the specific release number, available from any of the LON-CAPA Academic Consortium servers).
- Domain status - information about the status of LON-CAPA daemons for servers in the domain.
- Show user environment - Information about the current user's session environment.
- Text Display of Domain Configuration - Information about the domain's configuration (essentially a dump of
the domain's configuration.db GDBM file).
- Six-character Course Codes - a listing of course information and codes, for courses for which a six character code has been assigned.
- Course/Community Disk Usage - Quota (MB) allocated for content uploaded directly to each course, usage in MB and percent (with choice of courses to display filtered by standard course picker).
- Course/Community Catalog with enrollment data - Detailed report, including current, future and/or past enrollment for each course, and totals for all courses (with choice of courses to display filtered by categories).
- There are five pages which can be used to perform server actions:
- Generate Detailed Report - run the loncron command which checks connection to other servers and creates a new version of the detailed server status report.
- Offline: replace Log-in page - replace the standard LON-CAPA index.html page at the
Document Root with a temporary page announcing unavailability of LON-CAPA service on that particular server. It is strongly recommended that access to the corresponding "Online - restore Log-in" page is set to allow access from your IP address so that you can visit that page to re-enable the standard index.html page (e.g., when maintenance is complete) if you use the Offline page to replace it.
- Online: restore Log-in page - replace the temporary index.html page with the standard index.html (which redirects to /adm/roles - which will display the log-in page unless the
requestor's browser has an unexpired LON-CAPA session cookie).
- Toggle debug messages - set which users will have access to a link on the user preferences page to enable/disable display of debug output on screen when rendering a LON-CAPA resource. Note: Domain Coordinators automatically receive the toggle debug link, regardless of settings on the server status page.
- Cause server to ping another server - cause the server to attempt to initiate a connection to another LON-CAPA server in the cluster.
- There are two pages which can be used to display Metadata keyword information for searches in the domain.
- Display Metadata Keywords
- Harvest Metadata Searches
One final setting is for "Toggle debug messages". This controls whether a user's "Set my user preferences" page will include a "Toggle Debug Messages" link which can be used to set display of debugging messages in LON-CAPA either on or off.