The following requirements must be met to ensure that you will succeed in building LON-CAPA problem files from a file containing testbank questions.
- The uploaded testbank file containing questions and answers must be either plain text, rich text format (RTF), or a web page (i.e., HTML format). Testbank files in RTF and HTML formats may contain images. If conversion to LON-CAPA fails for RTF or HTML formats, re-saving the testbank file from the application originally used to generate it in plain text, and re-uploading the file to LON-CAPA may solve the problem (albeit with the loss of formatting information).
- All questions must occur before any of the answers. Each
question should begin on a new line starting with a number followed
immediately by a space, a period, or enclosed in parentheses, i.e., 1
, 1., (1), 1), or (1 . If you use a word processor to create the testbank questions you must disable auto-formatting of lists, otherwise the formatting will not conform to the new line requirement.
- One or more correct answers need to be provided for all questions
(although the answer text may be blank for essay questions).
Each answer should begin on a new line using the same numbering scheme as used
for the questions, and all answers must occur after all the questions.
- Multiple choice and multiple answer correct
questions should consist of (i) the question number followed by (ii) a
question stem beginning on the same line and (iii) two or more foils,
with each foil beginning on a new line and prefixed by a unique
letter, or Roman numeral, listed in alphabetic or numeric order,
beginning at a (alphabetic) or i (Roman numeral), followed by a
period, or enclosed in parentheses, i.e., a., (a), i., or (i)
- If fill-in-the-blank or multiple answer
questions have more than one correct answer, each answer should appear
in a comma-, tab-, space-, or new line-delimited list. For a ranking/ordering question, the änswer" should contain the foil identifiers correctly ordered in a similarly delimited list. If two or more foils have the same ranking, they should occur together, with an equals sign separating equally ranked foils [e.g., (b),(e)=(a),(d),(c)]